The Bungay Town Trust, as a registered charity, maintains in total, thirteen one-bedroomed, ground floor, easy access, apartments for Bungay residents of retirement age.
There are 8 units in Outney Road, known as St. Edmunds Homes - these were originally built in 1895 with funds provided by Frederick Smith, a local solicitor. He was Town Reeve for four periods of office between 1885 and 1900 and he presented these almshouses to the Town Trust.
The block of units was extended and completely modernised in 2014 at a cost of over £500,000. Each unit now has new gas central heating and comprises a large lounge/kitchen, new separate bedroom large enough for a double-bed and an en-suite with low-level shower. In fact, all 8 units could accommodate 1 or 2 people in comfort, in a historic building, just off Earsham Street, and very close to Outney Common. St. Edmunds Homes are surrounded by beautiful communal gardens.
There are also 5 units in Staithe Close, which is just off Staithe Road, and is very close to the centre of Bungay. These units are known as Jubilee Homes and were built in the 1970's in the grounds of Trinity Hall. The units are now being extended and modernised so that each can provide a single resident with a lounge, separate bedroom, new kitchen and a wet-room, all heated by new gas-fired central heating. Very quiet, and with a beautiful communal garden at the rear.