The clock is situated on the west front of St. Mary's church tower, facing the high street. There was a clock from very early times, for it is recorded that, during the terrifying thunderstorm that occurred in 1577, when the tower was struck by lightning - "all the wires, the wheels, and other things belonging to the Clock, were wrung in sunder and broken in pieces".
The present clock was erected by the Town Trust in 1884, at a cost of £123. The illuminated dial was added in 1923. It is now run on electricity, causing problems during power cuts.